
I knew the only vacation I could maybe afford this year would be a road trip. The older girls had no interest in a road trip anywhere and Cayla wasn't too interested in any of my suggestions. Then one night lying in her bed with her she told me she didn't want to finish her last chapter of her last Little House book, because then they would be over, and she would really love to go visit Laura's House someday.......and thus was born the idea for our road trip. When I looked up Laura's House I discovered that on the way we would be passing Winter Quarters and Liberty jail, and that Nauvoo was only five hours Northeast. Since I have never been any of those places but have always wanted to go, Cayla and I decided we would go for it. I have also discovered between Laura's and Nauvoo is Hannibal, the birthplace of Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) and the many landmarks he writes about in Tom Sawyer, so that has become another stop in our travels. The cool thing about Laura's House is that it is the house she and Almanzo lived in and where she wrote all her books. Since she was already famous from her books when she died, the house has been preserved just as she left it, with everything she owned still in it. It is in Mansfield, MO, which has a population of about 1900, and thus not much in the way of lodging. I did, however, discover a place where you can rent little cabins, which are right in view of Laura's house, and when I called, I discovered the owners are from Utah, and their children all still live here. It is a small world.
We are going to be on the road a lot, more driving then I have done in a while, but I can't wait to just get away. We can hook up the Nintendo in the car and Cayla can play video games and watch movies along the way.
I'm thinking for Father's day there will probably be some GPS sales going on and I might grab one if I can find a good deal. If anyone has any experience with any brands of those, good or bad, I could use some advice. I was playing with some in Target yesterday and found the Tomtom brand the most user friendly and am leaning that way, after also looking up some reviews on the internet. We are leaving the Saturday after Father's day, so hopefully the sales will start early.
4 comments:
That sounds like a great road trip! I am hoping we have the chance to do a little bit of that this summer as well, with so many places nearby that we have never been we really should take advantage. I can't wait to hear all about it.
We have a GPS but I have no idea what the brand is, I would not be able to survive without it here. I never realized how easy it was living in Utah to figure out where you were with the mountains and the lake always visible until moving here.
I get totally turned around when I am outside of Utah. I always feel like I'm going the opposite direction. I do love our mountains! I am a very good map reader, but I can't read the map and drive at the same time, so I think a GPS is a must-have for this trip.
That sound like a blast. As soon as I win the Powerball I am hitting the road. I think it would be so much fun to just see the country. Your route sounds like fun. We have a couple of GPS units laying around that Rick's dad sent. I have not had the pleasure, but I'll ask Rick which one he prefers.
How fun! It sounds like it will be a great trip. I am too cheap to own a GPS so I have no advice for you there.
Post a Comment