It seems that we have somehow acquired a wild rabbit, specifically, we think, a mountain cottontail, that has taken up residence on our hill. He comes out at dusk and dawn, and feeds on our bushes or twigs he finds in the yard. He did find and eat some carrots Cayla put out one day. I didn't mind having a wild rabbit until I went around to the back yard yesterday to see if I could see any of his tracks in the snow and discovered little piles of rabbit poop everywhere. I don't deal well with animal poop so I hope come spring I can talk someone into going out and cleaning up the yard before I mow.
These are the best pictures we have been able to get so far. He doesn't seem to afraid of us if we keep our distance but we get too close and he takes off hopping. It is hard to get a real perspective but this bunny is HUGE.



3 comments:
Oh my gosh he is huge... or maybe she... about to give birth!
We have tons of bunnies around here but none as big as yours, the poop doesn't bother me to much but luckily they hang out more on the periphery of our yard by the trees and bushes so it seems to be concentrated over there and not in the middle of the yard. Of course my large breed dog takes care of pooping there!
That rabbit looks way too fat and sassy to be a wild rabbit. I think that either someone released their bunny into the wild or it escaped from its home. Good luck with getting its poop cleaned up. If they are anything like goats, and I think they are, they poop as they move and it just ends up everywhere.
Welcome to my world!
I have to agree that it looks more like a pet someone got tired of than a wild hare. It is FAT! The wild rabbits around here are skinny little things. Although there is probably more to munch on at your house than in my 'hood.
Post a Comment