Thursday, October 1, 2009

Just got home from the ER.

I tried to get into see a doctor today, but no one wanted to see me. They said with pain that bad for so long, I needed to go straight to the ER. So I took myself to the ER. They hooked me up with an IV of Toradol and Zofran which did nothing. My pain actually increased while I was on Toradol. They took me for a CAT scan which turned out normal. They hooked me up to morphine and slowly I became pain-free and relaxed for the first time in a week. They don't normally do an MRI unless it is a for-sure emergency, but the doctor really felt it needed to be checked out further because the whole thing was rather baffling (10/10 pain, stiff neck, blurry and double-vision, and ringing ears, all for a week) so he got it approved to do an MRI. That also turned out normal (a relief for sure, but no explanation for what is going on). I got back to my room and was able to lie in complete comfort feeling like I was on cloud 9. I haven't felt so good in a long time. If the pain comes back the next step is a neurologist. I'm just glad I didn't have to do the neurologist before the MRI, because I don't know how long that whole process would take, and at least this way I know nothing needing immediate intervention is going on. Now I am going to go sleep pain-free for the first time in a long time.

6 comments:

Sheryl said...

Good grief! This happened today? If you drove yourself to the ER, who drove you home all doped up? Or are you still there?

While the whole pain thing does sound horrible, the morphine sounds like a dream come true. Hopefully, it is all something that once they get you relaxed will stay gone.

Sweet dreams!

~Cynthia~ said...

Actually Brittni came and got me. Alyssa was at work so no one could come and get the car. Richard is coming by and grabbing Alyssa to pick up my car later tonight. I hate having that man do anything for me, but Brittni is out with friends tonight.

The sad news is that just as I got up to my room, my headache started coming back, so I had to come back downstairs and take some Percocet and then I slept really good for a few hours. I haven't eaten since noon so I decided to get a light dinner, take another pill, and get back to bed.

Anonymous said...

This sounds horrible! I am glad you got some relief and I really hope you get it figured out so you can enjoy some permanent relief...soon!

Jen said...

How awful! I hope they find out what is going on soon.

Julie said...

Keep us posted, if there is anything I can do please let me know...

Grandmajoann said...

Well, I had no idea you were going thru all this. I just knew about the headache. I hope you are better by now. I woke up this morning with a fever, so I have stayed indoors all day and not been around anyone. I am hoping it goes away by morning. I will probably call tomorrow and not come up if I am still feverish! Love ya.....